
Pic courtesy of usmadetoys.com
Today I learned something about myself. I am no longer in my twenties. Logically, I should know that. But I actually learned it today.
Wiffle-ball. Great summertime fun.
To end our work conference today, we had a department BBQ and outing. It was a fantastic conference, the weather was great all week and every one of us was ready to have a good time this afternoon.
About six weeks ago, the call went out for wiffle-ball players. I cheerily, happily, excitedly signed up. I love to play. Good times, right?
It definitely was.
My body is telling me "maybe not".
"What was I thinking?", I asked yesterday as I looked around at the majority of twenty-somethings that make up the department. It's one thing to goof around with friends. But playing with work people adds a little bit of a different dynamic - you need to maintain your rep, right? Today - as the game approached - I went into panic mode and needed to visit the ladies room and give myself a pep-talk into the mirror. I began hearing Eminem in my head.."palms sweaty...mom's spaghetti.....you better lose yourself in the moment - you own it, you better never let it go, you only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow".
i felt better.
i played.
team came in second place ( 5-4, we had a great final inning rally).
i felt good - until i sat down. me-oh my...i am clearly NOT in my twenties. the mind says I am, the body is throbbing "um, no".
I am petrified to go to bed, dreading what i will feel like in the morning, considering I am throbbing now from the top of my head to the tips of my toes. I am set up in front of the tube, watching the Sox (they are wearing green shirts to honor the Celts, the Celts will throw out the first pitch and are in attendance, woo!) and I may not be able to stand up until Sunday. If you choose to blog over the weekend, I will be RIGHT HERE, barely moving and more than likely, commenting.
Small consolation: I did win the "Most Surprising Hidden Talent" award, so I guess that counts for something -
BOOOO-Yeeaaaahhhhh.....owww....oooo. ooh. ouch.
5 comments:
Ahhh, I know this realization well. This thought of "man, I'm not in my twenties anymore" happens mostly when I've had something to drink (or 2 or 3) and when I'm running after kids (raising kids is actually a job for the young). We are wiser for our age, though, are we not? Since we cannot move like we once could, we now enjoy the right to preach to the young and nap in the middle of conversation...well, we're not that old just yet. Enjoy the victory of pulling your weight despite your body, old lady. I'm sure you represented us 30 somethings well.
rita - first of all...you won an AWARD??? that rocks. apparently you played your heart out. the ol' self pep talk did ye good.
secondly...this is my life lately. things are not where they used to be, midnight is a joke (hell, 10:30 is a joke, who am i trying to kid), an afternoon of weeding leaves me immobile and, honestly, it's all okay with me. i am still attempting cartwheels in the front yard (true story...did this about 6 weeks ago...pulled my groin...do not recommend) and i am not likely to slow down soon.
that said...YOU GO GIRL.
It's all good - I love my age, I love that I showed those twenty-somethings that they too can act this way when they are in their thirties (??) and yes, jess, the wisdom we can impart is a fantastic benefit that I am actually enjoying.
okay - so these sore thighs are actually saying "you're lucky!! so fagheddaboutit!!" got it : )
bring the gear so we can have a round when we're in VT! when are we going to VT, by the way? anyone, anyone?
i'm going to remember lose yourself next time i need a pep talk!!!
nice work!
i totally feel you on this. a few years back, we had a company softball team and i signed right up to play - used to in college intermural all the time and how much fun, right? WRONG. i too, pulled a groin (though doing nothing as athletic as turning cartwheels, betsy). i did it just throwing a ball - yes, that's right. pathetic! i also cannot get low on the dance floor anymore, despite what betsy claims. sad. getting old is a bitch!
Post a Comment