I have it. Not a lot. Just a smidgen...but I have it. Road Rage.
Okay - let's take it down a notch. Maybe not rage...I believe the place I am at is road, um - perplexity. Yeah...that's it. It developed on local backroads, and doesn't really show itself while on major thruways. For example, cruising up the road and a car is pulling out of its driveway...inching...rolling..."is he going to stop??"...rolling....now edging out..."Hey!"...inch...inch....inching out. I know what you're thinking but, you see, I am from Boston - and so I don't technically slow down or stop. That would be too logical. I just keep going and swerve AROUND the hood that is now hanging over the edge of the driveway (and still inching, mind you). Then I keep driving, but yet manage to turn completely around in my seat, glare at the other driver and mumble "chowderhead"(translation: slang for a not so swift in the noggin local individual).
No - I don't have rage per se, just perplexity. Now the dude in traffic next to me on Thursday? That dude had RAGE. The inside of his car was completely torn apart during his rant. I think I saw seat foam in his mouth. Beads of sweat appeared on my head as I tried to avoid looking at him while he ranted and raved next to me, leaning on his horn, jolting his car, not A SOUL able to move his or her vehicle. Just love those peeps. Ten minutes later I entered the parking lot and, as I circled and circled, I could still hear his horn blaring away while he inched along over there in traffic. Poor guy. I hope the lady in front of him stopped turning to LOOK at him, aggravating him more.
Anyway - it was after seeing that poor guy that I knew I had road perplexity - and was thankful to discover my road meter is at a slow hum. Let's hope it stays there :)
4 comments:
Oh, Rita, me too!!! It's worse in the summer months as we are suddenly smothered in "Bennys" (a local term for New Yorkers). I have to double my travel time and deal with people who are literally Sunday driving everyday, because, guess what, they are on vacation so they are not hurried in any way. They also don't know where they are going or know what a circle or jug handle are much less how to use one. Aaahhh, I get rage just TYPING about it. There was a time when I would have traveled 2 inches from their bumper until they were sufficiently freaked out that they finally got out of my way and which point I'd stare them down and flip them the bird as I passed. These days, I just sigh and roll my eyes and hope they notice my drama in their rearview mirrors (they don't). I feel ya!
it's just as bad in texas. the worst time of year for us is christmas when all the pawpaws drive into town from the farm to shop at the malls in big d. it's not unusual to pass an old pickup truck (going 35 mph on the freeway) and glance in to see a pawpaw in a straw cowboy hat and overalls. OVERALLS, i said. then add to that the fact that seemingly every road in the city is currently (and perpetually) under construction. i have a long commute, so i listen to books on tape from the library. it gives me something to think about other than the fact that i'm following a cement truck (that pulled out in front of me and is now going 20 mph and blowing gray water on my windshield).
rita - the best part about this is that video. that was fantastic!!!! i had NO CLUE what a bubbler (it's a freaking water fountain!!!) or dungarees (freaking jeans) were until my first job in boston!!
what might be worse than road rage. is the person that has rage for the road rager - ie gustavo. if somebody is riding his ass, he'll stop at a yellow light instead of going through it. then, he'll sit through the entire green light, yellow light, red light cycle just to piss off the road rager. it's almost gotten us killed.
i have road rage. i wish i didn't but i do. i no longer commute so it's not as bad but i even had it from time to time on the train and once last summer while taking a walk. really...i did...i yelled at a car from the sidewalk. a true sign of a stable mind.
Post a Comment