On Sunday, I swore off blogs. I knew my friend Betsy, a fellow blogger, would be traveling and I thought it would be a good time to try and wean myself off of blog checking - I was beginning to display traits of addiction - to hers and her friends' blogs. Monday was okay. But I was a little disgruntled by late afternoon, and checked a couple of blogs I frequent (you KNOW who you are). I mean, I even read their OLD posts. But I was TRYING. At least I thought I sort of ...was...trying. But on Tuesday, I peeked again and yes, Betsy had posted, Jessica had posted, Emily had posted, Denise had posted...and all h-e-double hockey sticks (for the G-rated crowd) broke loose. It was a comments explosion! And I loved it. Suddenly, as the week marched on, I was making new friends, committing to taking a girls trip to VT with people I have never met, was commenting, commenting and commenting, I had a poll created by Denise asking if i should start a blog (a whopping 8 people unanimously voted yes - definitely encouragement enough for me!), I wrote a poem about blogging in response to the poll (see below) and am now sitting in front of the computer launching my very own blog. WOW. NEVER did I think it would come to this. But it's a good thing, right? right?
I am as curious as you are to see where this blog journey will take me. I have hesitated before on developing a blog site, feeling that I have nothing to blog about. But as I gave that feeling more thought, something that I truly believe came to the surface - that nothing really IS something - hence the theme and title of my blog.
I'll be thinking of this space as my virtual farmer's porch (I've always wanted one on my house) - a place where people can stop by, have a drink, say "hello"...If you are here now - it's good to "see" you. I hope you stop by again soon.
For now I am going to leave you with the poem I created that guided me to this place (after a wee bit of pressure) : )
TO BLOG OR NOT TO BLOG
I have no blog
I have no dog
I have no kids
I'm hitting the skids
Where do I find my answers you ask?
NO! It's not at the bottom of this flask
(sidebar: it's a very cute flask, by the way - pink, with little flowers...so cute!)
I feel I have no blog material
Which stresses me each morning while I eat my cereal
Admiration I have for this original blog crew
I'm amazed at all the magic you do
On a day (like today!)
When I needed it most
There you all were
With a fantastic post!
"Start your own blog!"
Is the cry I hear
But the thought of it, frankly,
Fills me with fear
I can keep up with comments
Day after day
But thinking up topics?
Um, NO WAY!
It's bad enough
I have a comment addiction
But I surely don't want blogging
To become an affliction!
Tell you what - I will give it more thought
"Be a team player!" - is what my parents taught
So I will sleep on it - and have a dream or two
And hey! There just might be another blogger yet added to the crew!
And here I am!!
8 comments:
rrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiitttttttttaaaaaaaaa!!!! you did it!!! rock the casbah! this is going to be a fun journey....all the way to dubai in 2019!
p.s. - wish i was rockin' on that porch!
WAIT - you started this and didn't send email notification?????? what gives? thank god i'm sneaky and stealthy and found it by myself. i'm watching you, rita...always watching.
it's fab...loving it. welcome to the (sick and sad) club.
OH...and you went to school with CLINTON????? i'm green with envy. i evidently went to college with matthew mcconoughy (i can't spell it and am too lazy to google it) and somehow that's not as cool as going to school with clinton. didn't know him and can't imagine how i missed him - what with 50,000students and whatnot. besides, i bet clinton wears deodorant and we all know mc does NOT.
Hey ladies! Thanks for the comments!
Um - I have to comment on my own blog - Let the records show, I DID email the blog crew last night, around 5:30 EST. Late on a Friday afternoon, I know, and maybe I had your work email? Glad you found me!
Re: matthew mcconaughey...eww. You must have kept missing him, thinking there was a skunk nearby and turning the corner to avoid. smellow fellow.
Emily - the george michael addition was just for you!
I truly feel giddy that you have joined us in the blogging world. You'll love it...you'll hate it...you'll love it again.
Can't wait to see what comes of it. Best of luck! Of course, I'll be a regular.
Rita- I can't believe you gave into the madness of blogging and the peer pressure of creating your own! When I was checking out Jess's blog I saw she had a new blogger so to speak. I clicked on it, began reading, and said aloud "Rita has a blog!" By the way, I was one of the 8 to vote for you to get one.
rita - i, for one, am THRILLED about this development. good for you! it's gonna be great and, of course, i'll be checking it obsessively.
i cannot wait for our 2009 VT trip...what a hoot that is gonna be! will all the blogs be the same after?
Post a Comment