Friday, October 24, 2008

PBS








I love PBS.  I don't watch enough of it, but when I do I always say "Why don't I watch this station more often?"  Over the years they have had some tremendous programming and I love supporting the work they do.

I have never watched Bill Moyers on television, but last year I FINALLY got around to reading a book of his written in the 1990s.  Some of the material is a little dated, but it was truly neat to read it now and to see the changes and progress made since the time of when the book was written.  It is named Healing and the Mind.  It speaks to the immersion and integration of Eastern medicines and practices with the Western world of medicine.  Back then it was a fairly new concept and still open to exploration.  Today, to consider and to practice Eastern medicine with Western medicine is more accepted and encouraged when looking to treat disease.  I loved the book. And I came to really like Bill Moyers. 

Tonight I just happened to catch an interview on the Bill Moyers Journal - a show that apparently runs every Friday night.  My social life ain't what it used to be and so I plan to try and tune in more often when it runs.  Bill has different segments to his show and this was the last clip.  He interviewed a man named Mark Johnson.  Mark has created a DVD that encourages a worldwide movement for connection and change through music. He calls his movement PLAYING FOR CHANGE: PEACE THROUGH MUSIC.  Music is what unites all of us, no matter ones lot in life.  The DVD is a vehicle for people to witness the connections that music makes, and to encourage involvement in the movement.  He basically took songs,  i.e. "Stand By Me", and traveled around the world with camera and recording equipment and had street or local musicians record the song(s), in their own element.  The way it plays on the DVD it's as if they are all playing it together, at once.  It took him close to 10 years to make this DVD.  I found the interview to be really cool and inspiring and just wanted to spread the awareness about his work, in case you may like to see the DVD. 


4 comments:

the higgins family said...

that sounds awesome. i am going to check it out! don't you love it when you happen upon a TV show that seems like it was made for you...and you didn't even know it was on? feels like someone put you in a place and time on purpose.

me, dummy said...

that really does sound cool. i like him too, but i haven't read any of his books - need to put that on my to-do list. you're very cultured, miss rita.

Anonymous said...

sounds cool, i'll have to try to catch his program and look for the dvd. thanks for sharing.

The Giorgios said...

Yeah, I always feel that way when I watch something on PBS...why don't I watch it more? Well, I know why I don't, but I'll try. Now that I'm not watching news...

That sounds really cool!