Friday, November 14, 2008

Memory Lane

So my friend Betsy referenced our day together, years ago, at the 'paint your own pottery' place called The Clayroom in Coolidge Corner, Brookline. I resurrected this...................Betsy - are you SURE we weren't drinking?? Cuz I think I'd rather the old tale morph into "we were totally hammered..." and that would explain what the hell I was doing painting THIS:





No wonder I was stumbling down Beacon Street laughing my arse off! I now know Betsy wasn't totally into the gig because she was probably embarrassed by my "flair for the artistic", didn't want to have to acknowledge it, and suggested "let's bounce"........Seriously??? Dude - why didn't you stop me?? Was it cuz I had a hot blow dryer in my hand?

I love art too. In an effort to save my own reputation, I will share this other piece I created on a different visit to The Clayroom. I am proud to report that when I went back with my buddy to pick up this piece (they make you leave it with them until it goes through the oven and bakes - clearly something I would benefit from myself) it was displayed IN THE WINDOW for all to see on Beacon Street as they walked by. My fifteen minutes of fame. I must admit, I am proud of this one. Then again, how can you really mess up using a stencil and choosing only two colors? In case you can't decipher it, it's a divot* with the Japanese** character for "Peace". A nice dark orange background, with a forest green-type paint for the characters and matching green trim. Yo, thumbs up, right? I like it.



Okay - so maybe I CAN continue to dabble in the realm. These two clearly cancel one another out. Now I'm even - balanced perhaps (alright - that's questionable, but just roll with me on this one). Goes to show ya there are days you hit one out of the park and other days you're walking back to the bench with your head low after striking out in front of thousands. There's always another at bat. I'm keeping that teapot, come hell or high water. Cuz for me, there's just too many good things wrapped up inside it :)

Tea anyone?.....Peace.

* betsy has correctly pointed out to me that the term is TRIVET. and I wasn't even drinking writing this post...?? Golf anyone?

**disclaimer: not sure if it's Japanese or Chinese or which Asian language it is

9 comments:

the higgins family said...

girl i am laughing my bloody arse off ...that is HILARIOUS. your teapot is actually pretty good but that TRIVET (i believe it's a trivet - a divet is a chunk of grass taken out during a polo match...i think) is AWESOME. it definitely should've been displayed in the window. now i have to see if i can dig out the wine chiller...i am laughing at the thought of it. in franklin i could've walked right to it (it held our beer caps)...not sure sure anymore. thanks for the laugh on this dreary day.

the higgins family said...

ps: did you finally break down and get a digital camera?!?!? i pray that the need to show the teapot was the final straw and that you did buy one!

Rita Jr. said...

b - no digital camera yet...that's the camera on my laptop.

The Giorgios said...

I really like both the teapot and the (d)trivet! Isn't it just fun regardless of what you get in the end?

B, hope to see a blog re: wine chiller.

Anonymous said...

also laughing my arse off, while reading the post, i'm thinking to myself "looks like a trivet, but she is calling it a divot, what in the HELL do you use it for" regardless, its nice and you did deserve the window time, congrats!!!!

denise, the honey crew said...

rita - i agree, both are impressive to me. do you USE the teapot? you need to buy a dig camera...it would take your blog to a whole new level! divet is HILARIOUS!

Rita Jr. said...

t - i believe the trivet can be used if you have hot items and want to put the hot item/dish on something...i never use it but chose to paint the item due to its simplicity. i found it tucked away in a drawer here...but it was once on display at the house. i need to break it back out.

d - um, seriously? the teapot is DEEP in the back of a faraway cabinet in the kitch. i do not use it. simply bcuz i would like guests to continue returning to my home :)

thanks for the kudos guys...both were fun, creative projects.

Rita Jr. said...

t - just realized you KNOW what a trivet is. my apologies. its late. for me. cuz no lookie forward to work tomorrow. oy.

Anonymous said...

no problem, i totally understand.