Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Road Trip

I had the great pleasure of visiting the Higgins Family of Shrewsbury, NJ, these last few days. Between our busy schedules, Betsy and I were able to settle on this past Sunday - Tuesday to visit together at her home. I was thrilled to have the mini-vacation, before the hectic busyness of the holidays. It gave me a much needed break from the routine up here in Boston, and also gave me the opportunity to catch up with a wonderful friend. Not to mention meeting her beautiful boy, Wil.

During the journey and visit, I made some observations, learned some things along the way, and other things I already knew were brought back to the surface:

1.) I like hopping in the car every once-in-awhile and taking long drives, especially on a beautiful fall day.
2.) Some gas stations are just plain creepy.
3.) Eating a sandwich, following written directions, steering your car on the highway {at 80 mph} and maybe talking on the cell phone just might not be the best course of action - um, definitely not all at once.
4.) I, thankfully, do not have a bridge phobia. If I did, I would have been on the news as a helicopter rescue in New York.
5.) I, thankfully, did NOT have a deer running at my car, as did some by evidence on the highway. Sad.
6.) When driving the Interstate highways, one should not WEAVE back & forth between lanes while trying to determine which Toll Lane to be in - just get the freakin' Eazy-Pass, Rita! {'twas fortunate I was traveling on Sunday and then on a Federal holiday - no traffic, ergo, no fender-bender!}
7.) There's nothing like a friend who makes you feel at home. And who makes you laugh OUTLOUD.
8.) I need to get out & do more shopping and re-energize my wardrobe.
9.) I LOVE a fish dinner...the concept of brunch...and in case it's never been said before on these pages, chicken spaghetti.
10.) I love tea. I mean, I drink A LOT of tea.
11.) Animals rock.
12.) You can keep house plants alive. I witnessed it.
13.) I always enjoy meeting friends of friends.
14.) Trash day at abode de Higgins in Shrewsbury, NJ, is on Tuesdays.
15.) Trees shed a lot of leaves. A LOT.
16.) The i-phone and sirius radio are both pretty cool.
17.) There's nothing like sharing your living space with nature - in this case, a quick drive to the beautiful ocean. And I love driving around, checking out real estate, neighborhoods and "main streets" of towns new to me {and of some towns that are old to me too!}
18.) There is nothing like getting a fantastic night of sleep!
19.) There is nothing in the world like spending time with a baby. Perspectives shift, priorities shift, and kids carry their own light to the party. It's great.
20.) Traveling is good for the soul.

It was a great time. Thanks Betsy, Ryan and Wil for making it a cherished trip for me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey rita, great to see you back on the blog. sounds you like you had a wonderful time with the higgin's crew. glad you got some time off for a little r & r.

p.s. get the ez-pass

the higgins family said...

rita - it goes without saying that we had a wonderful time having you here. as i said, ryan paid you the best compliment before your arrival when he said, "rita...oh good. we don't have to do anything with her do we?" and smiled. it's so true...you were easy, you always go with the flow and i loved having a buddy to cruise about with, drink coffee/tea with and share my thoughts with. you are a great listener, a good friend and i am so glad i know you. oh, yes, and i am so, so glad you got to meet my boy. he's better already for having met you. xoxox-b

The Giorgios said...

Soooo happy to have finally met you! The Higgin's B&B is the best.

me, dummy said...

again...jealous! also, what's fall like? sighhhhhhhhh...

denise, the honey crew said...

GET THE EZ PASS RITA!

ahhhhh so much fun! i am green with envy, and i am so happy that you guys got together.

Rita Jr. said...

hey emily - fall has actually been beautiful up here this year. so far, so good...although today it is raining. b was telling me an interesting thing - the leaves have been falling faster & earlier this year and she has pictorial and date evidence of her trees in comparison to this time last year. that's weird and i'm not sure what it means for the upcoming season?? fall is one of my favorite times here...