
Last week I had to go to the local CVS pharmacy to pick up a prescription for my Mom. The doc supposedly called it in and off I went to pick it up, while my sis and Dad stayed behind at the homestead.
I used to work as a teenager at this CVS and even back then the pharmacy was BUSY and therefore, a little obnoxious. Obnoxious because it was just SO busy and obnoxious because of the poor sick public, trying to get their medicines. The bins bulge over with prescription bags. All this to say, I was not really looking forward to the visit. Typically my parents use another pharmacy but it was closed by now and my Mom needed the medicine that night.
6:05 pm
I arrive to find a line at the back of the store, people waiting for their prescriptions. I finally get to the front:
"I'm here to pick up my prescription..." and I give her the name.
Blank stare.
"You know, my prescription. The doctor called it in".
Blank stare. Finally "ehhhh, how you spell?" and she writes it down. She approaches one of three Pharmacists workings FEVERISHLY at computer terminals within vision and ear shot of the registers. I have always known these people to be ANNOYED when interrupted. I suppose that does not bother me since they are making prescriptions and need to know the difference between, say - oxicodone and oxymoron, right?? And they should be focused on the task at hand. So, that's all good. The CVS pharmacy associate comes back to me and says "no, no in."
"Excuse me?"
"No in" and I get a shoulder shrug.
I call home and decide I will go back, eat dinner, hope the doc really did call it in, and return later for the pills.
8:36pm
I arrive back at the counter (keep in mind that this is also a drive-through pharmacy and every five minutes a woman's voice dings overhead and states "customer at pharmacy window"). It's not as crowded now, and as I am standing in line I realize there is a small flat-screen TV in the ceiling corner - and it was Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving show. CUTE. Charlie Brown in bare feet. It was very educational and I found myself mesmerized by the show. Good time kill.
I reach the front. A new pharmacy associate is working the counter - in fact, I think he was a pharmacy school student. Three teenage girls were off to my right, sitting & waiting for a prescription, texting, talking and being girls. New pharmacy associate was TOTALLY enthralled by said girls and couldn't take his attention away from them. In a little bit of a creepy manner. Fast forward and he had one of their numbers by the end of the 1/2 hour that I waited for the pills. I watched them all flirt - eeew - and moved on to watching "Dancing With the Stars" on the tube.
When I had asked him about my pills, he couldn't find it in the computer etc., etc......"Aaahhh - you need to register her with her insurance card. Over there". Luckily I had that card with me. I step under the sign "DROP-OFF" and a 'pleasant' pharmacist came over to help register my Mom's name (remember: she's annoyed). We proceeded to register my mother's info while the pharmacist pleasantly dragged & dragged her nose through it all with a cold! Again, eeew. Result: Fifteen minute wait.
There is also a "CONSULTATION" sign next to "DROP-OFF", where people can chat it up about their health with the available Pharmacist. I have used this window at times, and have seen others use it as well. No matter how softly the person on this side of the window tries to discuss their private issue, the CVS pharmacist insists on amplifying their answers in a theatrical sing-song voice that rivals a bull-horned rabble-rouser at the local VFW Post during a political rally. It's totally uncool.
Eventually, after Lance Bass & his partner twirled on the big screen, I accomplished my mission and picked up the pills. Yes - it felt like midnight but it was about 9:20pm. The elated pharmacy student (elated cuz he had the girrrrlz digits on his cellie now) rang in my order and off I went - after picking up some of my own meds for my suddenly surprisingly pounding headache!
I guess these are my points to the story:
1.) It's tough getting sick. And it can be even tougher trying to get to the medicine that is supposed to make you not feel sick anymore. Oy.
2.) What language do we need to know to talk with the front-line associates at registers? Just tell me and I am happy to learn it. Especially for those times when you are feeling icky, it would be nice for the public to be able to converse easily and avoid developing an ulcer from frustration. Cuz that would mean more meds. aaaaand maybe that's their method....TO THIS MADNESS.
3.) If you are sick, stay home. And don't drag your nose (did your mother not teach you that?!).
4.) Next trip, bring your bullhorn - you may need it for the consultation process.
5.) To this day, Charlie Brown still ROCKS.
Be well and stay healthy!!
2 comments:
rita - i have lived this very scene. i have lived it pregnant & sick, with a sick infant (in tow) and the baby blues, and as a healthy person just wanting the pill that keeps me from (currently) having another infant. it's maddening. i feel your pain and am so glad you had a TV to watch. my cvs isn't that advanced so i read all the magazines i want and don't buy one. get well rita SR!
i have multiple cvs horror stories, but the top two are as follows:
1. i'm 18 and out of town and the pharmacy calls my house and leaves word with my mother that my birth control pills are ready to be picked up.
2. they paged over the intercom about "two unattended children in a white camry in the parking lot" because i had waited fully 30 minutes for them to pull their heads out of their collective asses and fill my prescriptions! OY!
Post a Comment