
Taking my cue from Emily and Tia, I thought I would just let people know how I spend my time Monday thru Friday, 9-5 (beside commenting my brains out on blogs).
I work at Boston College, as the Associate Director of Prospect Management. If you are wondering "what's that?" do not be alarmed - I'm still trying to figure it out as well. My role falls under the University Advancement office. In short terms, it is fundraising. I work behind the scenes to make sure the front-line fundraisers are approaching the best people who are in a position to help the University sustain its operations and also grow. That means running a lot of reports, analyzing the results and making many judgements and determinations. I also help each fundraiser stay on top of his/her portfolio by assisting them in moving people toward a gift. It's a big operation - last year BC raised over $101m...in just 12 months! That's a lot of moolah. We are prepping for a very, very big campaign that will kick-off in October. I have been in the field of fundraising since 2000. There is a lot to the science of fundraising and I have learned a great deal while working in the industry. I do not see myself ever advancing down the road of directly asking people for their hard-earned cash, but there is definite potential for career growth behind the scenes. And it's nice to work on a college campus where there are many varied opportunities, should I ever want to turn down another road.
I attended BC as an undergrad and that has been an added bonus to this whole experience. It makes me feel like I am twenty years old again!
This is one job that I continue to get up every morning and love to go to. I can't say I have ever had that experience before. I have always liked my jobs, but was frequently frustrated with the goings-on and with mediocre management. This job is great and offers so much, with a great deal of support from management. I have been here eleven months and will celebrate my one-year anniversary August 20. They seem to like me - so I think I'm in! Phew.
It's known around here locally that BC is a tough place to get a job. It's highly competitive. To even get an interview through the regular Human Resources channel is HARD. You pretty much need to know someone. As my incredibly lucky stars would have it, Betsy knew someone. When I was feeling low - way low - at my last job, Betsy took it upon herself to reach out to a woman she once worked with that is now at BC to verify a rumor about a job opening that could be a potential fit. Connections were made and the rest is history. That email was a turning point for me. The depth of my gratitude is completely beyond words. I love Betsy for many, many different reasons and this is just one of them. I work every day to consciously honor her kind words that she used to describe me to my now boss - cuz it worked! When Tia blogged that Betsy brings out the best in her, I exclaimed outloud at my kitchen table - "that's how I feel too!" Her encouragement is ALWAYS there. She truly is a gift. She travelled a long way to cross my path seven years ago next month, and I am beyond glad that she did!
So - here I am at BC. It's a wonderful place - put it on your list of colleges to visit with your kids when they are juniors in high school...I'll give you the inside tour! : )
Go Eagles!
6 comments:
I find fundraising an interesting line of work. It must be incredibly difficult, but obviously quite rewarding. So happy you love getting up everyday to head to work. Nothing like it!
Do we all not feel the awe that is Betsy Wilkes Higgins? I just saw Emily raise her hands in halleluiah. This is one of the reasons Rob and I love Pip and Pop so much...they raised her... and well!
As it happens, my little brother (still only a freshman in HS) really wants to attend BC...conversation to be continued?
Yeah, I stumbled into the field, didn't actually seek it out. But it works.
yes, conversation to be continued! :)
cool rita! i'm sure that's a neat place to work and a beautiful campus. gustavo and i went to st. ignatius when we lived in boston. we love our parish here but we LOVED beyond words that parish.
what an amazing feeling to get up everyday and ready and willing and looking forward to going to work. that's awesome.
thanks for sharing what you do!
good to know, r. it's good to have a hobby because we all know that your REAL job is commenting on blogs. it just doesn't pay very well...
now back to fundraising...how can we get a fund started for our own personal use...? like "the blog sisters trip to vermont foundation". now that's a worthy cause...
rita - thanks for the props, girl, but you had to be fab to get that job and, very simply, you were/are. there wasn't any way karel was going to pass you over. i have worked with you and you are the BOMB. so, kudos to you, kid, for making it a year and for loving it still. i think that speaks VOLUMES.
however, if you still feel the need to show me some gratitude i will expect wil to sail right into the class of 2026. thanks. oh, and my mom would like a BC sweatshirt.
i miss fundraising EACH DAY and i hope that if the mood ever strikes me that i'll sail back in. it's a wonderful field and one i don't think anyone seeks out...most just end up there. however, that is changing now because it's a hot field and there are degrees to get and such. but i digress.
love you big time, rita and i am lucky - OH SO LUCKY - that we crossed paths 8 years ago this sept.
thanks for sharing rita, thats so awesome that you love what you do, its so important to be able to get up every morning and want to go to work. keep up the good work.
Post a Comment