Sunday, July 20, 2008

Visit to the MFA

When I was in either 8th or 9th grade, I had to do an oral report for my Spanish class.  I chose to study and report on the artist El Greco.  I  loved researching the topic and giving my presentation to the class. El Greco became a fast favorite of mine, and I was beyond excited when the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, brought an exhibit of his work to Boston.  I went to the exhibit today with my sister Carol and brother Paul.  It was very, very crowded.  The exhibit is named "El Greco to Velazquez: Art During the Reign of Philip III".  The art was created during the late 1500s and into the 1600s.  If it comes to a museum near you, I highly recommend it!  I loved it.  Carol & I opted for the headphones and with those you can capture more of the history of the times and the reasons behind the commissioning of these incredible works of art.  The headphones also help for when you can't read the painting descriptions due to crowds, or as seems to be in my case, failing eyesight (I'm blaming too much blogging for that :) ).  

Carol, Paul and Rita definitely give the exhibit



7 comments:

the higgins family said...

just viewed the MFA slideshow. i know those paintings were amazing in person! i love seeing a good exhibit. there's an exhibit on the horse at the museum of natural history in NYC that i'd love to see...will let you know if i get there!

The Giorgios said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Giorgios said...

Yes, I'm with B, nothing like seeing a great exhibit up close. Also really great that you got to go with your sister and brother. I dream of seeing the Salvador Dali museum in Florida some day. He's my fav. If El Greco comes my way, I'll try to check it out and think of you the whole time.

B-The Natural History Museum in NYC is by far my favorite museum. We used to go there a lot when I was a kid (during visits)and I always loved it. To this day, it stirs the same feelings and brings me back to being a kid. It has a great planetarium and is where I fell in love with astronomy.

Sorry about the delete above.

Rita Jr. said...

no worries on the delete.

my niece drove to Philly to see a Salvador Dali exhibit - he is her fave too...she said it was unbelievable.

one of the artists yesterday was named Tristan...kept making me think of you. :)

me, dummy said...

when denise gets back from her all girl trip to cabo (yes, that's where she's all been and we resent her (because we're jealous)), she will doubtless have a very astute comment about both the artist and the genre. i, on the other hand, am sadly uneducated in the world of art.

i do love to visit museums and galleries, but i usually keep my mouth shut so people don't know how ignorant i am. so in keeping with that tradition...

Rita Jr. said...

thanks for letting me know where denise is/was...i thought the 2 of you had run off for an extended - really extnded - happy hour!

denise, the honey crew said...

my brain is still dead, and i can't make comments on art. however i NEVER EVER go to an exhibit without the headphone rental. I LOVE THAT FEATURE!!! i've actually seen an el greco exhibit at the phillips collection in DC. i love the museum and specifically love the MFA....and everything about it (gift shop included)!