Thursday, March 26, 2009

Miracles

miracle [mir-uh-kuhl]
-noun
1. an effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause.
2. such an effect or event manifesting or considered as a work of God.
3. a wonder; marvel.
4. a wonderful or surpassing example of some quality: a miracle of modern acoustics.

I believe in them. In my thirty-plus years of living, I've seen and heard a good number of miracles. I will lean heavily on definition #3 for this particular post. I find miracles in the simplest of things: rain, a perfect snow-flake, fingerprints, that final shot to win with .03 left in the game..and it goes in! Air - I never have to THINK about air. I just have to breathe, and what I need to keep functioning is right there, in the air, and I'm good to go - over and over again - mindless. A beautifully sculpted spider-web. A beautiful sculpture. The flight of the monarch butterfly is amazing. I could go on and on. Miracles are all around us.

I want to share with you two miracles - depictions of what I believe a miracle to be. From time to time I may return to my blog, and share more miracles. But for now I would like to start with these.

Babies
I know what you're thinking - "duh!". I also know emily thinks I have baby fever. But hey, it's my blog so I am going to expand a little on this one :) I think it's THROUGH a baby that we become more aware of the miracles around us. Seeing the world through a baby's eyes is renewing. Wonderment. Babies be. Adults do - And get so busy doing, doing, doing. It would be great to be more accepting of exactly the moment, as it is, like babies do. They fall? They get up. And move on. Know worries. Literally. Whatever is laid in front of a baby, they deal with. Like Deepak Chopra says on the commercial: "I am a human being. Not doing, not thinking - being". I love that and there's a lot to it. There is peace. And from that, hope. And I think babies exemplify it perfectly. We need to follow their lead. I know - they cry, they scream, they make a mess. And that's not necessarily a miracle. That's just life mixing it up with a miracle. I know it's an obvious example, but a baby and a young child will never cease to amaze me. And every-once-in-awhile I love to express it.


Elderly
Opposite end of the spectrum. Circle of life. I was in the car at lunch today and driving back to the office. I was on a side road, a busy one, that I travel frequently. Standing at the end of a driveway was an elderly woman, dressed very neatly, standing erect, looking like she was waiting for a friend to pick her up. She looked so cute. I thought "wouldn't it be great if I could turn the car around, stop, get out, and ask her about her life? where she's been? what she's learned? what she knows? and hey - where she's going?". Denise posted awhile ago about her grandmother. I loved that post. The elderly are miraculous to me because of ALL they have experienced. ALL they have lived. And they putt along every day, battling the wear & tear of a long-life. Something tells me it ain't easy having an older body. But their wisdom, their perspective, their outlook far outweigh the limits of the body. Again, another example from which we can learn. Their frame of mind, developed over years, is a miracle. I know I over-generalize and that many struggle. But what all of them have lived through, and seen, in 70, 80, 90-plus years can be a wonderment to listen to. Their strength and courage never cease to amaze me.


10 comments:

me, dummy said...

very thoughtful and insightful. and yes, i still think you have baby fever and rightfully so. they are amazing...both a wonder and a marvel.

Anonymous said...

very deep stuff. i have to ponder it for a little and then come back with a good comment.

The Giorgios said...

Agreed! NOTHING excites me more than finding an elderly person eager to impart some wisdom my way. What I find most interesting is that many live vastly different lives, but come to many of the same conclusions about life and people, what's important, what's true. Fascinating! And babies, the beginning...limitless...

Anonymous said...

ok-i'm ready. i am also in awh with elderly people they fascinate me tremendously. you learn so much from them as far as wisdom and you get to hear the stories of their journey through this thing called life. depending how old the person is, it always amazes me the things they have seen in their lifetime. i hope some day to be able to be that elderly person sharing my stories of my journies in life and i will be sure to mention all of you.

as for babies, i agree with you there as well, they are for sure little miracles and wonders.

Rita Jr. said...

love your comments, girls. tia - i love that you wanted to ponder it for a bit and then come back with wonderful things to say...awesome.

denise, the honey crew said...

rita - i couldn't agree more with all of the listed miracles! it's so cool that you take a step back, slow down and recognize them. i hope you will post more miracles! i certainly believe in miracles and have seen them happen in front of my own eyes!

the higgins family said...

i love the elderly. LOVE THEM.

i love this post, too. there are so many miracles in life..thanks, rita, for taking time to remind us of two of the best.

the higgins family said...

rita...after further reflection:

you, too, are a miracle. i am so glad to have you in my life.

the higgins family said...

d
]4p[,./s

comment made by WIL HIGGINS

Rita Jr. said...

Wil reads my blog! YAAAY!!!