Saturday, December 6, 2008

It's The Little Things


I get excited by little things.  Tonite, I discovered a little something about my blog.  It's Italian! That's right - Italian.  

I started the book Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert today and haven't been able to put it down.  It's really good so far, and just 61 pages into it, I am going to go ahead and recommend it. She has a great sense of humor and a style that's easy to read.  

Her journey in this book first takes her to Italy. In talking with a new friend, she writes about the American inability to do nothing. Her friend observes that Americans are overworked, but that we actually seem to enjoy it and like it that way.  Italians, on the other hand, are "...masters of il bel far niente."  Translated : the beauty of doing nothing.  The conversation goes on to reveal the Italian ability to make something out of nothing. Gilbert writes: "There's another wonderful Italian expression: l'arte d'arrangiarsi - the art of making something out of nothing.  The art of turning a few simple ingredients into a feast, or a few gathered friends into a festival."  

I have, for as long as I can remember, a deep love for all things Italian.  I studied the language for a year in college (beautiful language), and Italian Renaissance art is absolutely one of my most favorite art history studies in high school and college.  Moonstruck is still one of my favorite movies to this day.  And the scene in Lady & the Tramp when they eat the spaghetti & meatballs behind the restaurant?  Yeah, gets me every time.  It is one of my goals - to travel to Italy one day.  And I will.  

But until that day, I am just happy to know that a little of the Italian culture must have been well within my bones when I launched my blog under the name "Nothing is Something". Indeed, there is always something happening! I admit it was more of a Zen influence I thought I was tapping into, but to recognize that the Italian was also well within my psyche regarding Nothing makes me smile just a little.  

I look forward to following Elizabeth Gilbert's journey through Italy, then to India and on to Indonesia.  Let me know if you've read the book or get into it one day.  Give me a holler and we'll discuss.  

Va bene, Ciao.  Buona Notte.  

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

rita, a lady i work with read this book about 6 months ago and also recommended it to me. i will have to read this now that 2 people thinks it great. i too would love to go italy, that can be our next girls adventure...... who's in????

denise, the honey crew said...

that book makes me mad. i mean who wouldn't like to eat their way thru italy, find their soul in india and fall in love in indonesia!!??

wah wwwwwaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

the higgins family said...

i almost started this book yesterday too. it's on my shelf waiting to be read and i thought about picking it up. now i will today!

Rita Jr. said...

t - i am TOTALLY in for Italy! we can rent a villa in Tuscany.

d - you stumped me...i'm at a loss for words

b - great! we can read it together! but i think you'll finish before me, so don't tell me the ending :)

me, dummy said...

so i guess seinfeld was italian too...wow!

my mother is obsessed with italy but has never been there. sign us both up for the trip as well!

Anonymous said...

i LOVED that book! i could not put it down either and as a matter of fact, i could relate to many parts of the book!

Rita Jr. said...

LOU! Great to hear...and thx for the comment! good to hear from you

The Giorgios said...

Well, I married Italian, but American-Italian is very different! No one in my husband's family can relax. When you make it to Italy, head directly to the Amalfi Coast and never leave. It's easy to do nothing when you're sitting in paradise. Call home and tell them you've retired early and are mastering the art of nothingness in the most beautiful place in the world.

I'm putting that book on my ever growing list.

The Giorgios said...

Betsy told me the other day she was reading this book and that she was loving it. That she'd never be the same. Well, between the two of you, I ran out and bought it. You're both so right. I'm really enjoying it. It's an easy read and uplifting (and funny). Thanks for passing th word along!

Rita Jr. said...

I'm almost done with it.....glad you've started it. Betsy's right - it definitely is powerful and i was thinking just last night how much of an affect the book has had on me too. great!